Thursday, May 27, 2010

Who Do You Think You Are?

Last week was not a particularly easy one in my world. I was told that my amazing, delicious, bright, beautiful, socially outgoing baby boy scored sufficiently on the ADOS test to be placed "on the spectrum". What? Who are you to tell me this sweet boy has some flaw? Luke still doesn't have much of an oral vocabulary (his receptive vocabulary astonishes me sometimes though, as he responded appropriately to "if you want a snack, get some grapes out of the refrigerator") so we were advised to have him re-tested in a few years when his 'speech comes in'. It threw me for a quite a while. I was fully prepared for those words, but until I actually heard them I didn't accept it. So. There it is. It does mean that Luke's eligible for more structured, intense services, so that's the plus side here. Our wonderful pediatrician has said that he believes that by the time kindergarten comes around, he'll have caught up with his peers and you won't even know that he's received services.

And on top of that, I discovered that Hofstra no longer accepts people into the 2 graduate programs I was interested in. Argh.

3 comments:

andreamqso said...

I was born “handicapped”, told I would never fly in an airplane, and yet somehow made it past years of speech therapy all the way to Cairo. And let’s not forget, you spit in the very face of cancer. I think we have both proven that the only commitment to unexpected news worth making is to turn it on its head. One definition of spectrum is the continuum of light. So there, each time you hear that now loaded word just think of me smiling back to say, “we love Lucas like a rainbow and always will…”

Curly Glamour Girlie said...

Annie - As always your response is touching, compassionate and positive. Lukey and I both are lucky to have you!

Jill said...

Wow! It's hard to believe he's that big already! It seems like he was just born!!!!

I'm sorry it's been hard, but Annie above is so right. And to me, so many of us adults (especially my age and older) could have been diagnosed with something or another, they just didn't have the tools back then that they do now. And that's all the label really is if you choose to think of it that way - He'll always be the same little boy he was before you got this news, but now you have access to a new set of tools you can use to help him.